- To provide ongoing education and skills building to help members improve/increase their advocacy capacity, and
- To increase the influence of human service nonprofits in the policy field.
Human service nonprofits that engage in advocacy are true visionaries, willing to take risk and make hard choices to advance long-term systems change in their communities and with their constituents. Since 2010, we have evaluated human service advocacy in Colorado and across the country, the results of which consistently underscore a few key components for success and impact:
1) Strong Relationships, with other providers, policy organizations and policy decision-makers
2) Resources and Capacity-Building, including training, and ongoing support
3) Time, set aside to strategically and thoughtfully make decisions about advocacy efforts
To meet these needs, Community Resource Center launched The Root Causes Network. The Network provides a formal and regular meeting place for human service nonprofits to convene, connect, and advance their skills and knowledge around nonprofit advocacy. The Network is comprised of direct service organizations who are committed to advancing systems-change work through organizational advocacy efforts.