Mentor a Nonprofit
The Colorado Nonprofit Social Enterprise Exchange (The Exchange) provides training, technical assistance, education, mentoring and networking opportunities to develop a fully scaled and resourced ecosystem of social enterprise for nonprofits, venture philanthropists and foundations.
The job of a Business Mentor in The Exchange is to provide support and guidance to an Exchange cohort organization to enhance their ability to create, start, maintain and grow their social enterprise.
Business Mentor Responsibilities
- Review and become familiar with the 2018 Exchange cohort curriculum
- As a member of the Exchange Business Mentor Pool, agree to support cohort organizations in a timely manner when called upon
- Work closely with a cohort organization to develop their skills and competencies to start and run a successful social enterprise
- Refer a cohort organization to others as needed for additional sources of information and support
- Share personal and professional expertise in support of social enterprise
- Guide organizations in incorporating for-profit business perspectives into their social enterprise project
- Encourage relationship building and networking
- Maintain confidentiality
- Communicate regularly with The Exchange leadership team regarding meeting activity, progress, challenges and needs
Business Mentor Attributes
- Interest in social enterprise and creating positive community change
- Understanding of and/or experience working with nonprofit organizations
- Collaborative work style; ability to work with teams
- Strong self-awareness and excellent listening skills
- Interest in expanding networks in support of social enterprise work
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following areas: business process, marketing, sales, management, finance, operations, supply chain management, law, entrepreneurship and business development/feasibility/planning
- Expected to be 3 – 4 hours per month – however, please let us know your specific needs and availability and we’ll work with you. This is the power of a “pool” or “team” of mentors!
- 1 year commitment, minimum – most intensive during the cohort program from January to September 2018, ongoing connection and support beyond graduation is welcomed and encouraged!